Provide a GUI option in the installer to enable popcon

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Tue Jun 23 18:24:37 UTC 2009

Caroline Ford wrote:
> 2009/6/23 Andrew Sayers <andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org>:
>>
>> IMHO, the best solution would be to enable popcon by default in
>> alpha/beta versions, and as Mackenzie says, make it more prominent for
>> everyone else.
>>
>> This could have a transformative effect on the development process with
>> very little work, which I think is worth a single extra question for
>> users.  Aside from anything else, the lack of flamewars would make this
>> list far more productive.
>
> Only if you think that the alpha and betatesting community are
> representative of the wider user base, which they are unlikely to be.

That's a very good point - to get usable data, popcon.ubuntu.com would
have to offer raw results by version.  For example, we would need to
download the raw data for Karmic alpha/beta versions, and for the Karmic
final version.  Then we could subtract one from the other to get
approximate results for non-beta users.

That would pose some minor privacy issues, and would take a bit more
work (which I'll happily volunteer to do), but I still think the
benefits would far outweigh the costs.

	- Andrew