udev-extras vs usb_modeswitch

Przemek Kulczycki przemekkulczycki at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:42:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Martin Pitt<martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Przemek Kulczycki [2009-06-21 22:17 +0200]:
>> Recently I've noticed that there is a package in universe called
>> udev-extras which contains some hal quirks for various hardware, and
>> also contains some utility called modem-modeswitch.
>> Is this tool the same as usb_modeswitch?
>
> Should be, yes. We use udev-extras by default now in Karmic. Also, it
> was merged into udev itself upstream, this will land in the next days.

I did some research and it seems that udev's modem-modeswitch tool is
not the same as usb_modeswitch.
The latter one seems to contain much more rules for a broader range of
USB 3G/GSM/HSDPA modems.
Can they be merged to udev?
Just compare:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/usb_modeswitch.conf
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=tree;f=extras/modem-modeswitch;hb=HEAD

Here you have only rules for Option modems.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=extras/modem-modeswitch/61-option-modem-modeswitch.rules;h=19dc5b49656a5abb79d1cce6cdd2ca27afdcd2c6;hb=HEAD
What about the rest? ZTE, Huawei, ...

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki >><< Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #