about empathy as the default IM application

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Thu Jun 18 07:15:33 UTC 2009

Il giorno mer, 17/06/2009 alle 14.40 -0400, Mackenzie Morgan ha scritto:

> Daniel would know better, but based on what he's explained: I'd guess
> Empathy
> would deal better with audio than Skype would simply because Empathy
> doesn't
> try to abuse the ALSA API or do silly things to /proc like Skype
> does...and I
> *think* it's PulseAudio-aware, unlike Skype.

Skype is pulse-aware, it's just that it's broken. A bit like jaunty with
intel cards :) But they are not working to improve it. OTOH, the audio
quality of an alsa-abusing skype call is very good. Last time I
*managed* to make a call with ekiga, it was not even remotely the same.
But I hope telepathy is going to be better.

V.