Flash, and 32 vs. 64

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 17 18:57:56 UTC 2009

 > Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:42:07 -0400
 > From: Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com>
 > Subject: Re: Stable 64-bit flash
 > To: ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com

 > Danny Piccirillo<danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com> wrote:
 >> > No exception can be made there? How have exceptions been made
 > before? Is
 >> > there some way to work around that?

 > Exceptions to the redistribution terms must be granted by Adobe.

Issues like this are *precisely* why we need HTML 5 sooner rather than
later:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/html-5-could-it-kill-flash-and-silverlight-291

Meanwhile, with regard to 64-bit flash, we've been doing some "user
experience" testing comparisons between identical machines (Dell
Optiplex 960 w/ intel 8500CPU+4GB RAM) installed with the 32-bit and
64-bit versions of Jaunty, respectively.  On the 64-bit system, firefox
was *significantly* slower to start and load pages with flash content
when the 32-bit version of Flash was installed with nspluginwrapper.
Once we switched to using the 64-bit Flash alpha plugin, the 64-bit
firefox was slightly faster than the 32-bit version.  As far as I can
tell, the 64-bit Flash plugin is fairly stable and works with all the
content we could think to try out.