Transition to OCaml 3.11.1...

Stéphane Glondu steph at glondu.net
Fri Jun 12 14:37:47 UTC 2009

David MENTRE a écrit :
> Regarding Ubuntu, the Debian Import Freeze is set to the 25th of June.
> After that date, packages can be synchronized upon request until the
> 13th of August.
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule
>
> Currently, nearly all (i.e. except 3 packages) are on 3.11.0.
>
> According to your planning, it would mean that OCaml 3.11.1 would be
> uploaded now (12th of June) and all other packages rebuilt after the
> 23th of June. It could break the current OCaml status on Ubuntu. I
> don't know if massive rebuild of packages (binNMU???) is possible on
> Ubuntu.

Not right now (I would like to wait for the remaining of the OCaml team,
and the release team approvals), but certainly before the 25th of June.
I guess there will be a lot of binNMUs (at least 50, maybe 100, out of
139 packages or so), and I don't know either how Ubuntu manages this
kind of task.

> Why do you think of this?
>
> Of course, I would very much have OCaml 3.11.1 on Karmic but that
> might be difficult to do in such a short time frame.

I think it's up to the Ubuntu release managers to decide. FYI, the last
transition (to 3.11.0) took 1.5 months since the first upload to
unstable, but it was a big transition: a new major version of OCaml, and
big changes in our way to do things that caused > 100 sourceful uploads.
The feature freeze for Karmic is set at the end of August, so 2.5 months
from now. So it looks like there is time, but rebuilds must be handled
efficiently (this is still an unknown to me). If you decide not to ship
3.11.1, care must be taken to not import ocaml 3.11.1 from sid.

Cheers,

--
Stéphane