[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu Gaming Team

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 13 19:14:21 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

Sorry i dropped off the face of the planet for a while. I am back now! I
have heard all of the concerns, and i hope i can address them now. I am open
to change the team, and i want to sincerely apologize for all the confusion
and misunderstanding. One of the first changes i made to the team was
linking to the Debian Games Team and Freedesktop Games from the wiki and
launchpad page.

People noticed that although i stated that the team would only be working
from a marketing/advocacy standpoint, i went on about an advantage to FOSS
gaming is that code and content can be reused, but that was not to say that
*we* would be dealing with any actual game development. There was a lot of
talk about assigning bugs to the team and dealing with bugs through the
team. I do not think this team should have that focus at all. As said
before, the Debian Games Team can already handle that. What this team can do
is tap into the Ubuntu community which i am sure is full of gamers who want
to get involved with spreading the love. Members of this team can pass ideas
onto developers, and bridge connections between users (which most of the
team should be made up of) and the Debian Games Team and Freedesktop Games,
where appropriate, of course. There are also a lot of things that we will do
that i don't believe falls under the scope of the Debian Games Team or
Freedesktop Games. fundraisers, game tournaments, creating an Ubuntu Gaming
Clan, etc.

I'm having trouble responding to all of the concerns, so could someone list
all of the issues that have been raised so far in a bulleted list if the
above doesn't cover everything already?

The last question is what to do next. Is a new name really necessary at this
point? And if so, what should the new name be?

--
http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo