GRUB 2 now default for new installations

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 10 23:20:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 23:35 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > GRUB2 on its own partition is silly.  Like having a separate /boot.
>
> It is required for stuff like root on LVM, a configuration supported by
> the alternate installer.

This is news to my laptop, which is happily booting from /-on-LVM with
grub2.  That's one of the advantages of grub2.

As far as I'm aware, the alternate installer doesn't yet understand that
grub2 can happily handle /boot residing on an LVM volume and installs
LILO instead, but grub2 is quite happy to boot from LVM.