GRUB 2 now default for new installations

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:25:13 UTC 2009

John,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:21 PM, John Moser<john.r.moser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Luke L<lukehasnoname at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How many of these things are actually going to make it into Karmic? A
>> dynamically sized swap file? GRUB 2 residing on its own partition,
>> etc? These things sound good.
>>

> GRUB2 on its own partition is silly.  Like having a separate /boot.
> What problem are you trying to solve?

To name one problem, people who use LVM can't use GRUB because it
doesn't support LVM block devices.

>> Also, would a dedicated GRUB2 parition be able to exist on LVM/raid?
>> Just curious.
>>

> Who cares?

LVM is good enough to benefit even home users. I know there's at least
one spec considering LVM by default, so people must care about it.

I indeed recommend anyone to use LVM, and I support it being used by
default on new installs.

regards
FF