Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Jun 6 04:05:16 UTC 2009

Op woensdag 03-06-2009 om 23:11 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Evan:
> On the issue of user-interface, and KB vs KiB, please clarify whether
> you would always prefer KB, or you would prefer using KB for base-10
> and KiB for base-2.

I vote for correctness, so the latter.

> On the issue of labeling, the choices are to always use base-2, always
> use base-10, or decide it on a case-by-case basis depending on other
> factors (like HDDs using base-10 size labels already).

The latter: use the *numbers* people are used to, with the correct,
unambiguous symbols that engineers & scientists need.

I have some experience with applications that are (mostly?) using the
rules above, and we never had any issues with users complaining, while
at the same time we were technically correct (which, considering the
recent debates about mandatory software warranties might not be
unimportant...).

--
Jan Claeys