Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Jun 6 02:38:46 UTC 2009

Op dinsdag 02-06-2009 om 10:59 uur [tijdzone +0800], schreef Christopher
Chan:
> The interface speed in base10 yes. The number of bytes transferred,
> NO, because that is and has always been base2.

I more or less agree with that: interface speed & transfer speed should
by in base10, number of bytes transfered should be in base2.

> That stupid IEC standard is at complete odds with the way computers
> operate.

No, the IEC & IEEE are groups of engineers & scientists who want to make
things explicit to avoid errors.

For example, I am worried by the fact that so many sysadmins don't know
that network speeds use base10; that means they routinely overestimate
the available bandwidth.  ;-)

Use whatever base you want (preferably what is custom in your field of
expertise), but make it explicit what you use by using the correct
multiplier symbols.

--
Jan Claeys