Question about package usage of /opt

LD 'Gus' Landis ldlandis at
Thu Jun 4 20:45:27 UTC 2009

  We are planning to create a package for the GT.M database,
  provided by Fidelity National Information Systems.

  Fidelity has officially secured the /opt/lsb-gtm space at
  and so our convention is to use names like
  for the directory holding version 5.3-003 of their software.

  Once installed, NOTHING in the directory is ever changed.
  It is read/execute only. Other than a couple of standard
  libraries (which may not be installed by default), nothing
  is stored outside of this directory (/opt/lsb-gtm).

  Is this acceptable?  It does seem compatible with the fhs
  document mentioned by Daniel (below), but I don't want
  to use "old tapes".  Thank You!

daniel.holbach at said:
> As far as I know, we generally prefer to not install to /opt.
> - but
>  maybe that's a question that you could bring up on
>  ubuntu-devel- discuss at

NOTE: If it is important CALL ME - I may miss email,
which I do NOT normally check on weekends nor on
a regular basis during any other day.
LD Landis - N0YRQ - de la tierra del encanto
3960 Schooner Loop, Las Cruces, NM 88012
651/340-4007  N32 21'48.28" W106 46'5.80"
“If a thing is worth doing,
it is worth doing badly.” –GK Chesterton.

An interpretation: For things worth doing: Doing them,
even if badly, is better than doing nothing perfectly (on

"but I trust my family jewels only to Linux." -- DE Knuth

Funny Quote of the Day - Douglas Adams -
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make
as they fly by."