Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 02:46:25 UTC 2009

To sum up:

1) Some use KB and mean base 2 (historical), some use KB and mean base
10 (modern / some hardware packaging), some governing bodies are
pushing for KiB, e.g. IEEE

2) There is a mixture of the KB base 2 and KB base 10 "in the wild"
while KiB is starting to get traction

3) Ubuntu - is Linux for Human beings. From this thread we can see a
few Ubunteros confused and failing to reach consensus or are confused
what is meant by what and where.

4) But at least we recognize that there are inconsistencies in CLI/GUI
utilities and programms: across Ubuntu, Linuxes, Unix-like and other
OS's; as well as hardware manufacturer's (RAM in base 2, HDD's in base
10)

To move things forward a good starting point would be to consolidate
flamewa... erhhrr... information in a consise blueprint / wiki-page in
clear and structured manner with intro, history, current situation,
use-cases, different resolutions (pro / cons). And possibly involve
other people in the new more structured discussion. (eg when we have
this wikipage invite Aytana, Gnome and others to look at it prepose,
discuss......)

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),