Question on automatic migration of Debian packages into Ubuntu

David MENTRE dmentre at linux-france.org
Wed Jun 3 07:40:16 UTC 2009

Hello,

During automatic import periods like currently for Karmic, is there
any reason that a Debian package would not be imported into Ubuntu? If
the Ubuntu package has no Ubuntu specific patches? If the Ubuntu
package has Ubuntu specific patches (-ubuntu)?

I am currently investigating why certain OCaml packages are failing to
build on Karmic[1].

For exemple, for source package "graphviz", the package seems to build
correctly:
  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/graphviz/+builds

However, the package has been built against OCaml compiler 3.10.2 and
not latest 3.11.0:
  http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24508327/buildlog_ubuntu-jaunty-i386.graphviz_2.20.2-3ubuntu2_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz

The current version in Karmic is 2.20.2-3ubuntu2 while it is 2.20.2-3 in Debian:
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/graphviz.html

Any idea of what is going wrong? Should I manually request something?

Yours,
david

[1] http://bentobako.org/ubuntu-ocaml-status/transition_monitor/ocaml_transition_monitor.html