Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 13:37:18 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 7:19:12 am Andrew Sayers wrote:
> "Mega" is also a problem because accessibility isn't just about the
> ability to understand something, it's about the amount of mental effort
> required.  Grab a non-technical friend or family member and ask them how
> many million in a billion, then how many kilobytes in a megabyte.
> You'll find they have to think longer and harder to answer the second
> question, if they can do it at all.  I'm not clear what extra value
> "mega" provides that's worth so many wasted cycles.

Nor does such tedium matter to them!  What matters is "I have a 4GB MP3
player.  An MP3 is about 3 or 4 MB, whatever a MB is.  That means I can fit
about 1000 songs on my MP3 player."  Anything smaller than 1MB is written off
as sufficiently miniscule.  It's like worrying about a few grains of rice when
measuring it bushels.  Yes, the grains add up, but when the time comes to make
more space are you going to scoop out a few grains, or are you going to pitch
it by the gallon?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo