Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 05:13:49 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 02.06.2009, 12:45 +0800 schrieb Christopher Chan:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Christopher Chan wrote:
> >
> >> That stupid IEC standard is at complete odds with the way computers
> >> operate. I don't want to have to miscalculate just because tools
> >> started following stupidity and gave me numbers that were rounded up
> >> or down. Take this MB/Mib nonsense and stuff it. As a system
> >> administrator, I am having NONE of it.
> >>

> > Why do you refuse to learn something new?
> >

> Ha! Why should I learn something that is NOT STANDARD? Yap all you like
> about IEC and whoever else but until this thing is consistent not only
> across all Linux distributions but also across other operating systems
> like the BSDs, Mac OS X, members of the UNIX family (Solaris,
> OpenSolaris, AIX) and Windows I am not having any of it.

It is a _standard_! Standards are for making our lives easier (except
the Open XML standard). Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Software . The Linux kernel,
gnome-network and gnome-system-monitor uses it for example.

> A bunch of academics gets together and says, no, you cannot call that
> whatever, call it crumbybyte and nobody has paid much attention for the
> last decade. Great.

So do you agree to use the ell for measuring the distance instead using
the SI standard?

Cheers,
Benjamin