gparted, ubiquity and other packages left behind by karmic a2 installer

Nathan Dorfman na at rtfm.net
Fri Jul 10 15:10:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Colin Watson<cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:27:02AM -0400, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Colin Watson<cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> > (It's surprising that you apparently didn't see a dialog informing you
>> > that the installer had crashed. It must have gone down pretty hard.)
>>
>> Yup. I had no idea that it crashed until you just told me :)
>
> Interesting. That's a rather curious bug in itself.

Yeah. The crash itself turned out to be a dupe -- 395425. Following
your suggestion in the main bug, I updated ubiquity in the live
desktop env., and confirmed that it is fixed.

I was also taken aback, though, by how non-obvious it was that the
installler crashed. Am I the only one for whom the gnome crash
notification occurs long after the crash -- at least a minute, maybe
two, into the live desktop session? This is on relatively modern
hardware. If not, shouldn't the installer at least be wrapped in some
script? One that can at least say "We're sorry, but something went
wrong." After all, booting the (perhaps partially-) installed system
will produce undefined results at this point.

Of course, in my case everything worked pretty much flawlessly for
weeks, as evidenced by the progression in this thread. So, perhaps
it's best not to worry the user unnecessarily. ;-)