New GDM upload to Karmic

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Sat Jul 4 00:36:13 UTC 2009

Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 03:35:10PM -0700, Dean Loros wrote:
>>   Greetings...
>>
>> There has been several problems with the new GDM upload to Karmic--most
>> problematic is that during the update the xsession will close, causing
>> problems ranging from mild to very severe...Bug report:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/395313 & forum
>> discussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1202843
>
> For me gdm didnt really log out. Rather it triggered the "user
> switch" screen and i was able to resume my running session by after
> username/password.

Alexander,

I experienced what you describe above when upgrading from old gdm to new
gdm, *but* when I later upgraded from one package version of new gdm to
a slightly newer one, it killed my session outright.

Either way, even triggering the "user switch" screen in the middle of a
jaunty->karmic upgrade would be very bad user experience.

Max.