Standing in the street trying to hear yourself think

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Fri Jul 3 08:10:04 UTC 2009

On gio, 2009-07-02 at 21:03 -0400, Evan wrote:
> Coincidentally, Bryce recently posted a couple of blog posts dealing
> with "Me too" storms on launchpad [1]+[2] which are related.

They want their problem fixed, they can do nothing, they feel
frustrated, plus, they are used to small groups or blogs where "me too
likes the sun" is ok to be posted. They are newbies. They don't even
know why it is wrong at all.

So why not starting by putting a sentence above the text comment that
says "please don't post me too statements: if the most important thing
in your post is a me too kind of statement, please don't post it; use
the "this bug affects me too" link at the bottom of the page to add
yourself to the counter". With a link to a short page of good
bug-reporting tips. "Post-it education".

Before worrying about the noise, I would worry about why, when the "this
bug affects me too" link was invented, people didn't care. Why people
writes me too instead of clicking on there. Indeed it's too few visible
and publicised. OTOH, perhaps it can be made more useful e.g. by giving
some value to these counters; don't know.

When the gnome BTS asks me for the "1,2,3" steps it pre-fills your bug
reporting form with, I think it twice before deleting them, when I
really want to. They put a "post-it" in my reporting form and I tend to
obey to it.

Wikipedia is edited and touched dayly by everybody, but it's full of
"post-its" like the one I speak about, and they work very good. I am a
young researcher, but I must recognise that I learned how to recognise a
sentence that requires citation because of the reminder from wikipedia
embedded into articles. So much people could learn such a difficult
concept, and so well, that many articles of wikipedia are marked for
citations where missing, something that you wouldn't even dare thinking,
without such an educated community. They do this education by putting
post-its everywhere :)

Vincenzo