Standing in the street trying to hear yourself think

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 00:45:56 UTC 2009

Hello Onno,

Your post is very well written and some of the projects beeing worked on
in the community space are set up to deal with some of the issues you
raise:

 * Education, the ubuntu-learning project is kicking off a structured
mechanism for teaching and educating users, sys-admins, contributors and
advocates in all arts. All the materials, how to teach the subjects,
lesson plans and so forth will be built over time (completely depends on
if we can shift people from support to education efforts)
 * Support, community support tools, better bug tracking, more bugs
being fixed and a host of issue resolution improvements should increase
the scalability. The alternative is to use commercial support, but the
community should be able to resource it's self better than it currently
does with IRC and Forums, I advocate shifting support away from both
options and developing dedicated tools for the job.
 * Learn to Teach, Teach to Learn - A concept where by instead of
passing off all problems to a narrow band of experience hackers, each
ubuntero should be encouraged to learn the solution, the technology and
how to teaching themselves. All gurus should focus on teaching ubunteros
who are trying to help none technical users. Currently no distinction is
made between none technical and ubuntero support and we have gurus
helping small numbers of none technical users and ubunteros slowly
learning or not at all.

Jono? Your best placed to deal with community scaling issues.

Best Regards, Martin Owens