Internet-Teenagers and what Ubuntu can do.

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:26:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Andrew Sayers
<andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org> wrote:
> To be honest, I never really understood the focus on technological
> solutions to this problem.  The user being monitored will always try to
> fight their way out of the box, and will often succeed (e.g. by
> downloading a live CD and using that).

Children are hackers.  Every user who faces a barrier to what they
want to do becomes a hacker.  QUICKLY.  It's what we're good at.  The
difference between a man and an animal is every generation of man can
advance based on new information generated by the previous
generation-- i.e. generational learning.  To think that a machine
could stop the collective power of hundreds of millions of bored
teenager with raging puberty hormones searching for videos of hot
laschavious sex is misguided at best.

There's no real way to stop kids cold from doing anything.  The
correct solution is for parents to actually communicate with their
kids and try to educate them; again, humans are extremely adept at
generational learning, and passing on your knowledge to your kids is
probably the only real way to make them make good decisions (you might
not necessairly agree with their decisions, but at least they won't be
the worst possible ideas any person could have).