possibility of opening hardware stats ? Smolts

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 06:08:08 UTC 2009

Reply in-line :-

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:53, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What would be cool though is to know what kind of hardware are people using
>> I know that currently we have a closed database which doesn't help anybody
>> as the info. is requested repeatedly whenever a new bug is being registered.
>
> It's a set of nasty problems:
>
> 1) Device and/or hardware identification (not always easy)
> 2) Filtering ambiguities and inaccuracies (take a look at smolt, how
> many "O.E.M Fill in here" motherboards are there?)
> 3) Supporting and structuring meta information, correct names, correct
> manufacturers. Even so far as the list features and metrics, icons and
> pictures.
> 4) Centralising and analysing, you can't do this until you have 1 and 2.
> Then you need everyone to be running on the same standard.
>
> Unfortunately, smolt and many other ideas have jumped straight to 4
> without considering that perhaps 1 and 2 are important to sort out
> first. My own project, which I've shut down since, taught me a great
> deal about some of these weird and wonderful issues.
>
> In conclusion, I believe that the way forward is to fix these issues:
>
> 1) Gather dmi, bios, i2c and other system information sources with
> kernel level drivers able to deliver this information via sysfs or some
> other mechanism.

Isn't this possible today ?

 Consequently, a list of information needed could/should be put up
somewhere. Most probably the wiki could be a good place to put it up.

As far as OEM mobos are concerned, have no idea.

> 2) Populate and structure Hal (and it's replacement) in such a way to
> accommodate this "none functional" information sources. This includes
> being able to distinguish between a hardware object and a device object.
> 3) Be able to generate a unique hardware class ids that allow
> destinations, even when normal class ids are the same (examples of
> scanners, phones, motherboards with the same usb or pci ids but
> different metrics)

HAL's replacement being devicekit,

https://edge.launchpad.net/devicekit
http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/DeviceKit/DeviceKit.7.html

would that have any benefits in getting some of the issues
you talked about?

> Only then can you start fixing this problem properly.
>
> Regards, Martin Owens

Thank you for taking time and explaining everything so well.
Would like to know a bit more about the project you tried
Martin Owens.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal