Thoughts about EXT4 optional in Jaunty Development & questions about Plymouth

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 9 13:05:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 02:40:51PM -0700, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > ext4 will be available as a partitioning option as of tomorrow's daily
> > builds.
>
> I'm looking forward to this. I've been looking forward to ext4 for
> years. I could do an install from scratch, but I'm hoping that I can
> "upgrade" my existing ext3 to ext4 as you can going from ext2 to ext3.

Yes, as the end of http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto
says:

  To convert an existing ext3 filesystem to use ext4, use the command

    $ tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/DEV

  WARNING: Once you run this command, the filesystem will no longer be
  mountable using the ext3 filesystem!

  After running this command, you MUST run fsck:

    $ fsck -pf /dev/DEV

  NOTE: by doing so, new files will be created in extents format, but
  this will not convert existing files. However, they can be
  transparently read by Ext4.

  WARNING: It is NOT recommended to resize the inodes using resize2fs,
  as this is known to corrupt some filesystems.