Mimicking Ubuntu's build robots

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Jan 9 01:22:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 01:26 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> in an attempt to get some insight about
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnustep-base/+bug/245981>
>
> I tried to build the packages myself. However, the results are
> totally different from what I see in the build logs attached to the
> bug. I can't reproduce the bug as the build works fine outside a
> chrooted environment.
>
> So my question is: how would I best mimick Ubuntu's build machinery?
> Probably a virtual machine, to allow building i386 on an AMD64 host,
> but which type of installation, what else?

As it says in the upstream bug report this is due to it timing out
trying to fetch a dtd from the network when building the documentation.
This happens because Ubuntu's buildds have no network access.

The reason it only happens on i386 is that the documentation is arch
independent, and so is only built on i386 and installed in to an
Arch: all package.

There are local copies of the DTDs in the source package, the one it
probably wants is ./Tools/gsdoc-1_0_3.dtd, but it is apparently
searching for a file ending in ".xml", and from what I can see only
adds user, system and network locations to the search path, though
the intent of "-HeaderDirectory ../Tools" may be to do this.

Thanks,

James