too complicated

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 21:16:50 UTC 2009

Remco wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Yes, I know about that possibility. I do use that approach sometimes
> > if there is only a GUI way. But I really don't want to do that every
> > time I can help because IMHO it is a real PITA. If it would be a
> > requirement to only give advice the GUI way, I would certainly cease
> > to help.
>
> Another way that is even easier is to choose to "Create new logins in
> nested windows" by right-clicking the User Switcher applet, choosing
> Preferences and ticking the appropriate box. That will open new logins
> in a new window in your existing login through xnest. I see no reason
> why that would be a pita.

Actually I'm not using the user switcher applet because I'm using KDE.
There I have to switch between sessions with Ctrl-Alt-F7 / Ctrl-Alt-F8.
It seems the user switcher applet needs gdm which I don't like. However,
you mentioned xnest which looks quite promising - thanks for the hint. I
will try to use that program in the future if I need a separate session.

Nils