Default font size in gnome

Chris Cheney ccheney at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 27 19:50:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 13:55 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/02/27 10:09 (GMT-0600) Chris Cheney composed:
>
> > On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 02:55 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> These may not be the best around, but even if they're off by 50%, the real
> >> world still  hasn't been anywhere near constant for the past 5 years:
> >> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2004/February/res.php
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2005/February/res.php
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/February/res.php
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2007/February/res.php
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2008/February/res.php
> >> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2009/February/res.php
>
> > The stats above do not include any 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions, so are of
> > questionable value. w3schools lumps it all into 'higher' but thecounter
> > doesn't seem to report those statistics at all. Unless thecounter is
> > lumping all widescreen into unknown, which they report at only 12%, if
> > that is the case I think their statistics are questionable. I'm sure
> > there are more than 12% people using widescreen, as it is pretty much
> > the only type of screen you have been able to get on laptops for at
> > least several years now.
>
> I think it perfectly valid, if lacking in meaning, that w3schools shows more
> than 5/8 are obviously using either widescreens or older displays running
> higher than 1024 wide. Essentially, more than half of users are running
> something that's higher than 8-10 years ago, and higher than the 800x600 many
> web designers feel compelled to "support", and 1024 wide most of the rest
> think should be the widest necessary to "support".

Don't forget that what w3schools actually measures is data from
w3schools users, not web users at large. Meaning it primarily measures
web developers machines. Looking at the Firefox market share on
w3schools it shows up as 45.5%, however it is generally believed to be
much lower than that in the general population. Actually as of last
month the amount of Firefox users is higher than IE users on w3schools.
Since it is measuring web developers machines in many cases they may
have their machine set up for the resolution they are designing their
pages for instead of the actual native resolution of their monitor. That
would also explain why there was such a large number of 800x600 users,
up until a few years ago, given that the userbase is web developers.