Default font size in gnome

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Feb 26 20:57:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:29:06 +0100
Nicolò Chieffo <nicolo.chieffo at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/310353
> This discussion was started becaus Sebastien Bacher asked for it.
>
> -----
>
> Hello, now that the default DPI is asked to X, it's no more '96' as it
> used to be in intrepid. This means that if I have a 1440x900
> resolution, my DPI is set to 121.
> This is really a good thing because now fonts look exactly the same on
> every monitor, not depending on the resolution.
>
> I have to say that the gnome default font size (which is 10) is too
> big. it looks really huge!
>
> A default value of 8 should be ok, in my opinion
> What do you think of this change?
>
> images:
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/23152437/8pt.jpg
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/23152448/10pt.jpg

I have to say, for me, that would be bad. I have a 19"LCD with 1440x900
resolution. The DPI comes out to 90, making the defaults too SMALL. I
have to increase the font size to 12 to read the screen, since my eyes
are not great. Decreasing the font size to 8 could mean I give up
Ubuntu, because I can't read anything, a necessary thing to change the
font size to bigger.

--
Charlie Kravetz