Default font size in gnome

Felix Miata mrmazda at
Thu Feb 26 20:05:28 UTC 2009

On 2009/02/26 20:08 (GMT+0100) Nicolò Chieffo composed:

> Yes. Currently the most spread resolution is:

> 1280x800 (in 15") what is the DPI? (how can I evaluate the DPI of a monitor?)

1-You can calculate it. Divide the inches your display measures (~12.7" wide)
into the screen resolution (1280px aka dots wide) == ~107 DPI.

2-Look it up in a chart:

There are several ways to see what X thinks DPI is:

2-xdpyinfo | grep resolution
3-xrdb -query | grep dpi
4-kcmshell xserver (only if KDE is installed)

All 3 should match, but don't be surprised if they don't. One reason they
might not is that Firefox will not go below 96 unless you change the default
-1 setting of its hidden hidden preference "layout.css.dpi" to 0. Also,
Firefox doesn't round very well, so might be off by 3 purely due to rounding
(e.g. 108 actual has 111 reported).
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your
mouths, but only what is helpful for building
others up."			Ephesians 4:29 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***