Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good idea? - no.

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:06:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Remco <remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia at di.unipi.it> wrote:
>> Can someone tell me how will I protect myself from fake login screens in
>>  multi-user ubuntu setups? Even my office machine is multi-user!
>
> It took me a while to figure out what you meant by this, but yeah!
> That's actually a pretty nasty way to steal passwords. Shouldn't the
> login screen instruct you to press C-A-B before trying to log in?
>
> Remco

Sorry for posting the previous. Gmail sorted the mails by thread, so I
read this before the other discussion. Instead, the login screen could
instruct you to press Alt+SysRQ+K or any other key captured by the
kernel.

By the way, Alt+SysRQ+K doesn't do anything on my laptop?
Alt+SysRQ+REISUB does work, so what's that about? Could it have
something to do with that my VTs don't exist? (proprietary NVIDIA
driver issue)

Remco