Fake login screens

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 23:12:25 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 February 2009 5:43:20 pm Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 16:52 -0500, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> >
> > And *YOU* are missing the point that Ctrl+Alt+Delete on Ubuntu
> > *already* does what Windows does when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete but are
> > actually already logged in: it asks if you want to log out.
>
> Nope it does not. The windows *kernel* intercepts C-A-D, user processes
> can't. It's specifically designed as a way to prevent fake login
> screens: pressing C-A-D *guarantees* a kernel-approved login.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2005/01/24/359850.aspx
>
> Guys, doing your homework before posting would make developers more
> likely to stay subscribed.

The point was just "a way to get logged out with a keyboard shortcut" but if
you would like to still have it kill session, the kernel *does* intercept
Alt+SysRq+K as pointed out a billion times already.  Seriously, we have a
userspace and a kernelspace way around this one.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo