Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good idea? - no.

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sat Feb 14 08:24:32 UTC 2009

On 13/02/2009 Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>     The fact is, many things are easier to fix afterwards.
>     Particularly because that's the only time you'll find people
>     motivated enough to bother about it. If you were to need to fix
>     everything before-the-fact, nothing fundamental would ever get
>     fixed, simply because the people who can fix one thing are not
>     usually the same people who can fix another.

If developers of a new technology are not motivated enough to make it
usable (not "testable") why should one bother including it in a
mainstream user-oriented distribution?

That said, I still don't understand why removing a functionality that
does not harm anybody and that is really useful in some circumstances. I
see this discussion will be pointless, though.

However,  I am also sure that MOST people I know will tell me that
ubuntu is a dictatorship after discovering that they can't tell "hit
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE" on the phone to their unexperienced friends.

I typically am the guy that persuades friends using linux that the new
*DEFAULT* choices ubuntu makes in every release are good even though
they look like evil. But this time I don't really have a justification.

V.