Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good idea? - no.

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Fri Feb 13 10:30:38 UTC 2009

Fergal Daly wrote:
> Anyway, I'm curious, is this really a developer list? I subscribed
> because it was the only way to _contact_ ubuntu developers and I've
> seen lots of people use it for that. So maybe it has more technical
> users than the average but that's not the same thing as being a
> developer list.

Since we're busy talking about C-A-B right now, I thought I'd delay
posting the results of the signal:noise survey until next week.  Without
wanting to pre-empt that discussion, I think it's fair to say there's a
range of voices around here.

Back on topic, how about this for a compromise solution:

Make tty1 run a simple ncurses application similar to friendly-recovery,
which would give you a set of options like "restart your computer", "log
out", and "go back to your graphical session".  Then people can do
c-a-f1 instead of c-a-b to get 99% of the value without the risk.
Ubuntu users that really want a shell wouldn't be that inconvenienced,
as they can still use c-a-f1 to c-a-f6.

	- Andrew