Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good idea?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Feb 11 02:18:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:26:06 -0500 John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:37:49 -0500 John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>> This is engineering, not science.  There is no single answer that is
right
>> for everyone.
>
>Engineering is science.  How do you think engines get improved on?
>This is computer science... software engineering, particularly.

Science is a pursuit of knowledge.  Engineering applies it to practical
problems in the real world.  Engineering involves trade offs between
different requirements.  That's what happened here.  There is not one
absolute right answer, but a balance between competing requirements.

>> It's 9 days until feature freeze, so if you want it different I suggest
>> sending patches.
>>

>Obviously given the solutions I outlined above, 9 days is not enough.
>You would want to rewrite some stuff in a big, complex, and critical
>software product; then you'd have to test it, a lot.  AFAIK things get
>kicked out of feature freeze for not being stable enough or
>well-tested before freezing-- which, btw, is a very good idea.

Right, which gets to why I was saying I think more arguing about it is
rather pointless at the moment.

>My point was more that if you think it's wrong, you should suggest and
>continue to advocate a better solution, even after all is done and
>said.  Maybe the NEXT release will turn around and do something
>different; maybe it'll be FIVE releases down the line.  Hell, maybe
>Xorg gets replaced with something much better someone came up with
>this morning over coffee.  Things eventually change, sometimes the
>changes get changed.

Sure.  In this case we are following an upstream change, so upstream is
probably the best place to pursue getting it changed again.

>If you don't like it, keep thinking of better ways.

Of course.

Scott K