hwclock delaying boot...

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Feb 10 13:16:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 06:54 -0700, LaMont Jones wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:18:09AM +0000, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> > Boot-charting jaunty-A3 [1] on my SSD system, we see both the
> > 'hwclockfirst.sh' and 'hwclock.sh' init scripts invoke 'hwclock
> > --hctosys --utc', being significant on the map.
>
> The two scripts are debian/ubuntu specific, and yes they both need to be
> there.  There are a series of long discussions centering around when we
> removed one of them.

We did a deep-dive on this at the sprint, and it turns out that neither
of them are necessary.

	http://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareClock

All we need to do on boot is step the system block by the timezone delta
if the hardware clock is not storing UTC.

On shutdown we do need to call --systohc to save the current time.

No hardware clock alteration is required during suspend/resume.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com