Metacity as a compositing manager

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 21:13:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 15:48 -0500, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> That's good, but why even include compiz in the first place? Doesn't
> it just take up extra space that could be used for something more
> useful (isn't there a problem with keeping Ubuntu small enough to fit
> onto a CD?)

In the interest of feature-parity, the relevant question to my mind is:
can composited Metacity do everything that the default Compiz can?  I'm
not talking about what can be enabled with ccsm or simple-ccsm, but what
can be enabled in Appearances -> Desktop Effects.  If the simple
transitions and wall and things that are available in "Normal" and
"Extra" (on KDE at the moment, so unsure of phrasing) mode are available
then yes, I would remove Compiz and let Metacity handle it.  For the
record: KWin does handle these things just fine from what I can tell.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo