Ubuntu and language packs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 9 07:45:06 UTC 2009

Surfaz Gemon Meme [2009-02-09  0:56 +0100]:
> Ok, I understand, but what about these packages?
>
> myspell-en-au
> myspell-en-gb
> myspell-en-za
> openoffice.org-help-en-gb
> openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
> openoffice.org-l10n-en-za
> openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au
> thunderbird-locale-en-gb
> wbritish
>
> You need to have English support in 2 types (UK and US) of English?

Since the language packs are organized by language, and not by
language/country (then there would be even more of them), each
language specific one needs to provide all existing country dialects,
yes. E. g. for English you need U.S., British, Australian,
Southafrican, etc.; for Spanish you need Spain, Argentina, etc.

So the installer would need to install at least
language-support-translations-en; this would get rid of
language-support-writing-en (dictionaries, etc.) and language-pack-en
(UI translations), and save a few MB.

Due to the reasons Colin pointed out, I think that installing them all
by default is still a good choice. It comes on the CD, so you don't
need to download them during installation, and after installation you
can always remove them completely with System -> Administration ->
Languages.

Martin