Thoughts for assisting those with limited bandwidth

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun Feb 1 13:06:02 UTC 2009

Am 31.01.2009 um 15:09 schrieb Davyd McColl:

> I don't appreciate a 78mb download every other day because one
> config item in the kernel config has been changed or tweaked.

I think what you are really asking for are incremental packages.
Additional to full packages, each server would supply a package-diff
which would allow to upgrade a given package to the next version.

This isn't exactly trivial (you'd have to un-archive and re-archive
packages to get meaningful diffs, it has to be binary safe and allow
to remove files), but I've read about this idea on this list before.
Perhaps you can find this spot and start working out something like a
concept or even mockup code.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/