GNU Hurd port

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 9 16:17:08 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: Supporting a GNU Hurd port?
> From: Scott James Remnant <scott at ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:14:38 +0000
> To: Danny Piccirillo <danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com>
>

> Speaking as the guy who maintains the boot and plumbing layer, I am
> completely and utterly uninterested in such a port.

My question is why are we even talking about this?  The linux kernel is
by far the most robust, dynamic part of the whole distribution, and it
should be quite clear that there aren't enough developers to maintain
even the software that's in the distro now.  Although constant
re-evaluation is important, at some point one has to buckle down and
focus on really fixing the stuff that's out there already; i.e. there
needs to be a more compelling case for such a dramatic change other than
"this would be neat".  (Speaking as the guy who's never had any
complaints about linux save for the occasional lack of hardware drivers.)