Supporting a GNU Hurd port?

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 8 17:14:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 01:38 -0500, Danny Piccirillo wrote:

> A GNU Hurd port may not be for most users, but i was wondering if we
> had the resources to support such a port as Debian does, and if it
> would be worth the effort. I think it would be cool, but are there any
> reasons against this?

Speaking as the guy who maintains the boot and plumbing layer, I am
completely and utterly uninterested in such a port.

All of the improvements made in this layer, leading to things like fast
boot, fast suspend & resume, reliable hotplug, etc. have been
fundamentally done by forgetting about portability and writing software
designed *only* for Linux.

If you wanted to do a Hurd port (or BSD port), you'd basically have to
redo all of this work from scratch again.

I don't think there's ever a reason to say we won't switch kernels one
day, one day Linux might not be the best kernel.  If we ever do that, it
would be a complete "flag day" switch.

I am firmly against trying to support two kernels with one userland.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com