ubuntu-releases package

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Sun Dec 6 08:53:18 UTC 2009

On Mon Nov 23 18:22:55 -0500 2009 Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Montag, den 23.11.2009, 16:28 -0500 schrieb James Westby:
> > Have you considered making something similar for Debian (though
> > it's a problem that bites less there)?
>
> No. unstable will stay unstable. All my uploads to Debian targeted
> unstable (that may differ for security and QA people). What kind of
> information should the debian-release tool offer? What would be the
> benefit of it?

It would be possible to write tools that worked the way they should
when targetting that distribution.

> Would a generic interface be a good idea? A 'release' script return the
> information about the running distro (Debian or Ubuntu).

This would be great for derivatives, they could extend the script and
tools would know how to work with them instantly.

> With an
> parameter -D / --distribution, you could select Debian or Ubuntu.

And if not provided the currently running distribution's information
would be provided?

> 'ubuntu-release' would do the same as 'release -D ubuntu' and
> 'debian-release' would do the same as 'release -D debian'. Or would this
> be an overkill?

These scripts are overkill for scripted use I think, but would be
good if humans wish to use them.

Thanks,

James