Why Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Thu Aug 27 16:36:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 19:23 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I guess Jonathan Taylor is joking or trolling here, one of the main
> > advantage of using Linux distributions for desktops is that every
> > application is automatically categorized where, on Windows, every
> > application is NOT categorized...
> >
> > Start->Programs->Adobe->Photoshop v.x->Photoshop
> >

> How is one supposed to know to look under "Adobe" for Photoshop? Why
> isn't it under "Graphics" or "Photo Editors" or some such menu?

Exactly.  That's an example of how Windows organizes its menus (in case
you didn't notice the "Start" menu reference), and it's obviously bogus.

The other example (that you clipped) is how Ubuntu does it, which is
much simpler to understand.

Yet the OP raised menu organization as a thing that Ubuntu does _badly_.