Update on audio, call for testers, and ponies

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:41:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM, LoonyPhoenix<loonyphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this new kind of flat volumes is much better than the old one, but I
> think some things are still missing. For example (though this may be a
> driver bug) my audio card always crackles a bit at max volume

The above symptom is a killer combination of subpar hardware and the
codec-specific patch_() function in the driver failing to set a
convenient dB limit.

Filing a bug using "ubuntu-bug alsa-base" in Karmic is the suitable
way to proceed.

> However, now I have to make sure all
> applications don't go over 85%, and it's a pain, so I'll wind up disabling
> flat volumes even though I like them better now. Also, I think the feature
> to set the max volume can come in handy even with proper hardware and

...or you can do it this way. Both approaches are just hackarounds for
stinky hardware.

> As a side note, is it possible to change the volume of applications which
> play sound for very short amounts of time and have no native volume
> selection tool?

There's no currently available easy method, but there's WIP.

-Dan