dynamic executables ?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Apr 22 14:57:36 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia at di.unipi.it>:
> Il giorno mer, 22/04/2009 alle 15.19 +0100, richard ha scritto:
>>
>> richard-1 at richard-g8jvm:~/eagle-5.5.0/bin$ ldd ./eagle
>>         not a dynamic executable
>>

> The output from "file eagle"?

Assuming it's eagle the circuit board design software, then "eagle" is
not an executable but a shell script.

alan at hactar:/usr/bin$ file eagle
eagle: POSIX shell script text executable

Which then calls /usr/lib/eagle/bin/eagle

alan at hactar:~$ file /usr/lib/eagle/bin/eagle
/usr/lib/eagle/bin/eagle: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.2.5, stripped

- that's on a 32-bit Ubuntu Jaunty system with Eagle installed from
the default repo. I assume from the version number that Richard has an
upstream version he's unpacked in his home folder.

Doesn't look like it's installed correctly to me.

The "No such file or directory" is probably eagle shell script not
able to find /usr/lib/eagle/bin/eagle.

Cheers,
Al.