What is going on

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Apr 21 02:04:10 UTC 2009

richard wrote:

> In order to try and get Virtualbox up I reloaded 2.6.28-11 server,
> reloaded virtualbox, it starts but borks staring the VM
>
> I ran apt-get update, in case I had only had a part update.
>
> and got this:-
>
> apt-get: update
> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/main Sources
> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/contrib Sources
> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/non-free Sources

Why do you think that it's OK to use Debian (sid, no less) sources with
Ubuntu?  And then, why would you think we could fix it.  Debian & Ubuntu
are _largely_ compatible, but if mixing them breaks things, I'm afraid
you're on your own.

> so I checked the software sources
>
> ALL the sources are now jaunty i386

Except the ones that are Debian...  My bet is that you've checked
the /etc/apt/sources.list, but not /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
--
derek