Updates to Mesa in an LTS - How do you get one?

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Wed Apr 15 18:20:22 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Once upon a time :-)

Six months ago I filed a bug against Mesa for Ubuntu 8.04.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/283175

I supplied the effects, test case and even a backported patch. This then
gets wishlisted to sit idle for six months until today.

After pain of dealing with the RC Mesa in Ubuntu 8.04 ever since, I
decided to email the technical board about why it and all releases
should be based on a full release of Mesa + patches only, giving
developers a clean base to work with. Mark Shuttleworth replied in a
positive manner and indicated the prime example of why yes we should
which was Firefox. This then got taken to this list and the public and
after I filed the following general bug for an update of Mesa complete
to a release.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/344710

Today the bug above was marked 'won't fix' as was submitted:

Indeed this has sat orphaned for too long already. I close it as wontfix
now, since it is really not worth (potentially) breaking existing
installations to introduce new code.

** Changed in: mesa (Ubuntu Hardy)

I raised the example of my first bug report at the top with Martin Pitti
on IRC and was told this should also be closed as 'won't fix'. Now
totally sick and wondering why contribute I agreed. The bug was closed
thus by Martin:

Indeed this has sat orphaned for too long already. I close it as wontfix
now, since it is really not worth (potentially) breaking existing
installations to introduce new code.

** Changed in: mesa (Ubuntu Hardy)

OK, that is the background. How do you successfully get an update? I
think I have tried to do my part and contribute.

Regards

Phil