change in the way updates are handled

Dean Loros autocrosser1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 04:48:57 UTC 2009

I have bee following the current debate about the way updates are being
handled & there is a mostly negative thread at ubuntuforums about this
topic--there is also a "work-around" to try to revert back to the prior
manner of updates. The forum thread:

In my own opinion the "new" way of update notification is not very well
handled & counter-productive...I & many others liked the non-intrusive
panel icon....one could note that it was there & deal with it at a time
one wanted. I understand that it is thought (wrongly) that the old
system was in some way "broken"---I firmly believe that to inform users
of the correct way to use & do updates would have been far more
effective than wasting man-power to create a new way to notify one of
updates.

I will, of course bend to the wishes of the many---but I really think
this was something that worked very well as was...

Dean Loros
Performance by Design
Ubuntu tester starting with Breezy