Looking at Package Management for Karmic or Karmic+1

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 6 17:39:09 UTC 2009

James Westby wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 07:27 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
>>  Maybe delaying upgrades until shutdown *is* the right
>> solution?
>
> There are a couple of other issues with that.
>
>   1. The upgrades may need some feedback from the user, but the user has
>      just declared that they would like to leave the computer.
>
>   2. What do you do if the upgrade fails? The system is in an
>      inconsistent state, so immediately rebooting may not be wise,
>      but the computer was instructed to reboot, so staying on would
>      be surprising.

Personally, I think _shutdown_ is absolutely the worst time to do upgrades.
When I am shutting down I want the system _off_.  Typically, I only do
shutdowns when there's some pressing need to reboot!  The other 99 times
out of a hundred, I hibernate - in which case the upgrade is either not
going to get done, or you're going to interrupt my attempt to hibernate -
and it _still_ won't get done, because it invariably means I'm moving the
laptop and it won't be able to connect to the Internet.
--
derek