Looking at Package Management for Karmic or Karmic+1

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:03:20 UTC 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009 10:35:17 am Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:25:07 +0100
> Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:

> > > My problem with the way things are currently done is that it's not
> > > obvious to someone like my parents, who run Ubuntu, that this
> > > feature exists. After switching my parents to Ubuntu the only real
> > > complaint I heard from them is that the first time they booted into
> > > Ubuntu there wasn't a "tour" window that popped up for them.
> >
> > Oh, but haven't you heard? Popping up windows by themselves is evil,
> > apparently. ;-)
> >
> > Now that the Updates Available window opens by itself, it may help for
> > it to contain a checkbox for installing future updates by default.
>
> May not be evil, but on my 400MHz cpu, it does severely limit any
> further use of the computer until it finishes getting the updates. It
> doesn't matter what I am doing, when the update manager opens, I am
> stopped from further use of my computer until it quits getting updates,
> and when there many, that can be 10 minutes or more.

Are you referring to while it's just running, sitting there, waiting for you
to say "ok, install the updates" or to while it's actually installing updates?

400MHz? And Ubuntu's usable?  I tried Ubuntu on a Pentium II, and I got tired
of waiting 5 minutes for it get to the point where it would let me open the
applications menu.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo