email clients (was Tablet PC under ubuntu)

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon Sep 29 20:13:43 UTC 2008

On lun, 2008-09-29 at 20:57 +0100, (``-_-ยดยด) -- Fernando wrote:

> You really should give mutt a go.
> It can even use offline cache is set for that.
>
> Easy to install, extremely powerful, and very light weight

mutt, pine, thunderbird, a webmail client, emacs, ... when I actually
switched to ubuntu, I tried to learn to stick with destkop defaults. I
was used to configure fvwm macros by hand to play a nice looney tunes
theme and then start snowing on christmas ... "when I was young" :) I
used pine to read mail and I had an smtp server up and running on my
laptop. But it was a pain to know when a mail had actually been sent in
order to be sure that I could turn off the laptop.

Using the ubuntu defaults, on one hand I get many benefits that come
from overall integration (e.g. I right click on a folder in nautilus,
choose "send to" and send a zip file with the contents of the folder,
and my addressbook is used in the popup window that appears). Also,
using the ubuntu defaults I can signal various problems of consistency
and usability across the desktop and learn what is the user experience
when they first install ubuntu. This helps me to decide in what cases I
can advice ubuntu to people, and in what cases it's overkill.

This attitude to "everybody's desktop is my desktop" indeed leads to
frustration sometimes ;) (e.g. bug #38512)

Vincenzo