No inverse searches for dvi files in ubuntu

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon Sep 29 17:18:26 UTC 2008

On lun, 2008-09-29 at 13:00 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> It appears to be replaced by Okular in KDE4.  As a core part of the
> kdegraphics package there's no way to keep a KDE3 application, so it's gone
> for good.

This is another important feature dropped for ubuntu without being
noticed - just for the record.

Having a decent dvi viewer was one of the strong points when showing
ubuntu to windows users in my department. Now will I show xdvi? And what
if my voice trembles when doing so? :) Notice that dvi is ONLY used
because of inverse searches of latex code - or else pdf covers all the
needs of a latex user and is more widely supported.

Vincenzo