User Switcher, Shutdown Options, IM Status

Ted Gould ted at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 29 17:12:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 21:07 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 20:44 -0400, Danny Piccirillo wrote:
>         > On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Przemysław Kulczycki
>         > <przemekkulczycki at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >         Danny Piccirillo pisze:
>         >
>         >         > I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring
>         this up or
>         >         if there's
>         >         > already an existing thread about it, but i don't
>         see why all
>         >         the shutdown
>         >         > options are now separated from the logout options
>         and in the
>         >         users switcher
>         >         > along with IM status changer even though the IM
>         client
>         >         already has it's own
>         >         > which is displayed in addition when it's running
>         anyways.
>
>         I think the plan is for the FUSA to replace the Pidgin tray
>         icon and the
>         logout button, but I don't know for sure.  Right now it's in
>         transition.
>         Might also be so that the battery icon's suspend/hibernate
>         functionality
>         can be removed (so unprivileged users can't suspend the system
>         from it).
>         Again, just speculating.  The only thing that really bugs me
>         about it is
>         that power-related options aren't shown (only logout/switch
>         user) when
>         you hit the power button and it's set on "ask me," but there
>         are bugs
>         about that filed already.
>
> It does it to empathy as well as pidgin. What is someone for some
> reason decided to use empathy for jabber and pidgin for aim and wanted
> to set the statuses independently of one another. Wouldn't this thing
> make that a problem?

It will report the most available of the two on the panel.  Setting it
on the menu will set both to the same value.  A problem?  Perhaps.  A
very minor use case, definitely.  What should it do?  (too late for
Intrepid, but we can talk for Jaunty)

The goal is to start providing more core functionality in the panel
itself instead of having applications provide it.  The idea being that
we can provide a better global experience if we can unify and
consolidate actions into the panel rather than relying on each
application to do it itself.

		--Ted